MediaShift . Digging Deeper::The Social Press Release: Multimedia, Two-Way, Direct to the Public PBS
It reminds me of a time I was in a meeting with colleagues who's client wanted ads that showed that they were an "arbiter of culture". I said, "Cool, but would it make more sense to just arbite culture". Its the commitment and change in business practices that makes that tricky.
Some problems you might encounter along the way.
- If you want to keep content fresh and regular don't expect the same production values as brochures and commercials with 6 months lead times
- Don't lie to yourself. If the little voice in your head thinks its not 100% authentic, its not
- Don't expect immediate results, becoming a truly valued source of information takes time, if you expect this tactic to lift back to school sales significantly your too late
- Accept that the last time you tried this that you sucked and nobody came because you didn't invest in enough promotion, or the content wasn't good enough
- Don't bet the farm on it. Bet a little bit on it, but stick with it, learn from mistakes, and watch it grow.
- Your other marketing budgets (TV, OOH, etc...) aren't going away they are just getting diversified and will need to be more efficient